Material & Welding Engineer
- The job holder will be part of the EACOP project team and shall contribute to and ensure in his/her field of Materials & Welding expertise that the Quality & Safety Requirements of the Project are being met, and ensure that Contractors’ & Vendors’ work is in compliance with the Contracts including all projects technical optimum requirements specifications, applicable local & international standards and internal procedures.
- The job holder is responsible for all activities related to Materials & Welding Engineering for the duration of the EACOP Project during the Engineering, Procurement, Supply, Construction, Commissioning and Installation phases.
- The job holder will act as the Technical authority in Materials & Welding for pipeline, structural, piping, static and rotating mechanical equipments, vessels (also including heat exchangers, large onshore storage tanks, process and utilities vessels) and pipeline manufacturing processes.
- The job holder will be the main responsible for Welding, Non-destructive Examination and Testing, Destructive Testing, Metallurgy/Materials within the engineering discipline in the EACOP Project.
- In addition to discipline work within the pipeline group, the Material & Welding Engineer will also be assigned to provide ad-hoc services within above mentioned fields of expertise to other parts of the EACOP Project.
- To supervise and control the detailed engineering deliverables related to Welding & Materials as well as the construction engineering (including qualification and testing methods) as established by Contractor(s), by timely reviewing / validating the documentation issued (technical documentation / technical queries) with regards to Welding and Material issues, in compliance with Project optimum requirements specifications and procedures, Company General Specifications when applicable, local & international norms and standards, with the objective to ensure respect of the schedule and to optimise costs without impacting the required level of Quality and Safety.
- To make necessary comments and highlight deviations, unacceptable / unjustified design choices, constructability issues and issue timely derogations to expert if required.
- To ensure consistent technical decisions in relation with the Corrosion engineer and ensure continuity of project group engineering decisions.
- To ensure daily liaison with Contractor(s) with regards to Welding and Material matters through the workflow portal or via technical meetings and emails.
- To ensure follow-up / review / validation of progress performed by Contractor(s) on the documentation with regards to his/her discipline and analyse/report drifts that could occur and propose remedial solution.
- To ensure adequate and timely reporting to the Engineering Procurement Leader (progress, concerns), and, as a general manner, anticipates problems, potential optimizations or improvements and offers solutions with regards to his/her disciplines.
Field welding expertise:
- To provide expertise in the areas of GMAW, GTAW, SMAW, P-GMAW/ CMT and GS-FCAW welding processes and orbital technologies.
- To participate and be able to lead where required in the development of new products.
- To participate and be able to lead where required in the development of new methodologies and operational sequence for pipeline welding applications (Welding/ NDT/ Coating sequential operations)
- To liaise with external parties to perform mechanical testing of welds for Welding Procedure Qualifications, welding development and consumables evaluation.
- To keep up to date with changes in the industry, processes, equipment and consumables.
Equipment Purchase Tendering Phase:
- To provide technical clarifications during tendering related to Welding/ NDT/ DT, Metallurgy/ Materials and Corrosion (in the continuity of the Corrosion engineer recommendations)
- To review Project technical specifications and highlight areas which may increase exposure to technological risk
Qualifying Welding Procedures:
- To determine optimum welding methodologies and qualify these accordingly.
- To manage and coordinate welding qualification activities by developing the work scope, pre-qualification presentations to key stakeholders, supervising the execution of work and evaluating the welds and compiling final test reports for client submissions.
- To provide technical guidance and support in preparation of WPP’s, WPQ’s and WPS’s for project requirements for both manual and mechanized welding.
- To ensure adequate and timely reporting to the Engineering Lead (progress, concerns), and, as a general manner, anticipate problems, optimize, improve, offer solutions with regards to his/her discipline.
- To assist Company Representatives at fabrication sites and participate to the resolution of any related-discipline problem occurring during the Execution Phase, to advice on technical deviation requests and to keep updated the documentation related to his discipline.
- To provide guidance for project QA/QC and production personnel where required including method statements in his/her field of expertise
- To troubleshoot technical problems that may affect the construction and liaise with the Quality Control team
- To identify the critical activities and bottleneck for the progress of the modules or vessels related to welding. Anticipate; propose solutions to improve welder’s productivity
- To monitor onsite performance in terms of productivity and weld repair rates as required and provide proposals for improvements
- To maintain an active lessons learned activity where problem areas are recognized, solutions applied and results analysed and formally documented
- To challenge colleagues and the wider business to ensure risks are identified and managed timely and effectively
- To ensure that all assurance activities are done with an appropriate segregation of execution and assurance responsibilities with his/her experience step-back
- As a member of the EACOP project group, to be actively involved and to support the HSSE Plans and programmes. He/her will also be expected to personally role model ‘Incident Free’ values through his/her actions and behaviour.
- Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical engineering or equivalent
- Master Degree from recognized Welding Engineering school, Welding Technology or Materials Engineering discipline preferable
- Industry Manufacturing, NDT & DT Services & Contractors experiences essential for the integration
- Site experiences in a metal fabrication, construction and installation industries (pipeline, structural, piping, static and rotating mechanical equipments, vessels (also including heat exchangers, large onshore storage tanks, process and utilities vessels)), pipeline manufacturing processes (HFW (ERW), UOE LSAW, SMLS) and anticorrosion systems.
- Experience in working with X60/X65/ Strain-Based Design materials, low alloy and corrosion resistant alloy materials common to the oil and gas industry
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications (Outlook, Teams, Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Ability to absorb and analyse data especially during qualification & fabrication phases
- Demonstrable problem-solving skills to ensure best trade-off between various constraints
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Minimum 15 years of experience in Oil & Gas Industry with large scale projects & complex environment, minimum 5 years in a similar position.
- Fluent in professional English (speaking and writing).
- International mobility with frequent travel in Europe, US, Asia, Africa
- Ability to act as a discipline mentor for the Welding team